When
I was about 10 years old we moved to D. Gertrudes Avenue. I loved
living in that house! A big garden in front, an enormous backyard,
with space enough for our dear Dita to make fruit desserts on the
wood stove and an orchard that extended almost to the next street.
On
the other side of the street lived a family that captured my
attention. It was the Furlanetto family. The Italian Antonio
Furlanetto immigrated to Brazil and established the first marble
sculpture shop in São João da Boa Vista. Fernando Furlanetto, one
of his sons, was so talented that when he was only 14 years old he
went to Italy to polish his art at the Istituto
d' Arti Stagio Stagi, in Pietrasanta.
I
was simply filled with wonder when I saw the beautiful statues
sculpted by those handa. Whenever I could I would cross the street
and stand there in silence, observing the work of the sculptor. He
did not say a word, and would kindly tolerate my presence.
If
you wish to know more about him, the video below shows some of his
work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErPHgwMXe0Y
Most
of the statues sculpted by Fernando Furlanetto are in the local
cemetery. There are over 300 statues. The most famous set of
sculptures shows the daughter holding her arms out to her mother. It
is a true story: the girl died and some time later the mother was gone. The sculptor imagined the daughter in heaven, waiting for her
mother's arrival with open arms. A beautiful and touching work of
art.


Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário